- What kind of pipettes does the robot use?
The robot comes with Dragon Lab pipettes, but you can use your own pipettes with a little bit of hardware hacking.
- Can I attach my own 12-channel pipette?
We do not currently support 12 channel pipettes, the software and hardware are currently designed for single and 8-channel pipettes.
- Can the robots handle p1000 8-channels?
The software can handle p1000 8-channels, but we do not sell them with the robot.
- What is the smallest volume I can pipette?
The robot can pipette as low as 1 µL using a p10 pipette.
- Can I adjust the speed of the pipette plunger?
Yes, you can slow it down to pipette more viscous liquids.
- What is the Z-motor step size?
The Z motor moves in .1 millimeter increments.
- Can the heat and cool modules change temperature within a protocol?
Right now, the modules will only hold a single temperature, which can be changed by plugging them into your computer and altering the settings. They cannot cycle through temperatures on their own.
- Can the robot open, close and move tubes?
The robot does not have a tube gripper or plate mover.
- I don’t see the labware I want in your documentation - can I use my own?
Yes, we can help you to create custom container files so your own labware is usable with your robot!
- What is the accuracy of your system with regard to repeatable location of the same spot ?
The xyz accuracy and precision is the same as a 3D printer -- micrometer resolution in all three dimensions.
- What is the lead time on an OT-One robot?
Currently 6-8 weeks, but as shipping times are based on current demand, you can e-mail [email protected] for a more accurate timeline.
- What is the shipping and handling cost within the USA? Overseas?
It is $500 to ship within the USA, and $1000 to Europe/Asia. You may also choose to use your own shipping carrier and pick up the robot from our Brooklyn office (a handling fee of $300 will be applied in lieu of the regular shipping and handling cost).
Using the Robot
- How does the robot dispense different volumes in the same experiment?
Instead of adjusting the volume by hand, the robot relies on four user calibrated pipette positions. The calibrations tell the robot where the top of the pipette plunger is, as well as the “soft stop”, blowout and eject tip positions - and once these are set, the robot can calculate how far to depress the plunger to access the entire range of pipette volumes.
- How do I clean the robot? Can it be sterilized?
You can wipe down the robot with 10% bleach. ( Spraying is not advised )
- Once the robot arrives, how long will it take to get up and running?
The robot comes fully assembled - it takes about 2 hours from opening the box to running your first protocol!